The Hill of Crosses is a site of pilgrimage about 12 km north of the city of Siauliai, in
northern Lithuania. The precise origin of the practice of leaving crosses on
the hill is uncertain, but it is believed that the first crosses were placed on
the former Jurgaičiai or Domantai hill fort after 1831. Over the centuries, crosses,
crucifixes and effigies have been brought here by the people from all over the
world. The exact number of crosses is unknown.
During our meeting in Lithuania we went together to this famous “Hill of Crosses”. It was a very impressive time for each of us, and it was also a meaningful moment in the project. The memory of this place, as the photos and videos, will be one of the “key-Images” for our end performance project in 2012.
Photos: Sandie Brischler